Monday, January 25, 2010

Addictive Midwinter Beauties!

Contemporary Czechoslovakian runway jewelry by designer "Lilien". This demi-parure is breathtaking.
I have spent quite a bit of time recently going "hunting". Then thrill of the find is addictive. The addiction started many years ago when I first became interested in vintage jewelry.

Stunning "fringe bib" of clear rhinestones; leaf-shaped rhinestone pin.

I attended an auction and purchased a box lot of around 150 necklaces for about $30 (those were the days). I stayed up ALL NIGHT digging thru that lot of jewels and around 4AM found a rather sparkly pendant stamped 14k. The sparkles turned out to be diamonds, and while the value of such a pendant is small, the fire was lit! I had to find more treasures!

A glimpse into my treasure trove: Victorian buckles, Sterling, Charm Bracelets, Fine Faux Pearls, Turquoise....

But finding treasure requires knowledge. So many people sell jewelry, and so few know the first thing about it. And that is perfectly all right - I sell things out of my area of specialty as well. Sometimes it is fun to buy things on a whim.

Royal purple and clear rhinestones with a creamy faux pearl dangle. Earrings marked "France".

And lets face it...jewelry looks great in a shop and everyone loves to look at (and hopefully buy) jewelry.

Rasberry-colored glass stones dangle brooch, Judy Lee green & faux pearl pin, blue aurora borealis set by Weiss and some unsigned pieces.

So I began studying jewelry. And studying. And handling as many pieces as I could. I cannot fathom how many thousands of pieces I have handled in the last decade. I have probably read and re-read and re-read and re-read close to 100 books about jewelry.

Inverted set brilliantly cut blue brooch, contemporary red and clear rhinestone panda, pink rhinestone triangle....

Everything from styles, designers, manufacturing processes, gemstones, gold, when materials were used, collectibility, market analyses, trends influenced by royalty...and on...and on. I really wish there were some type of degree or certificate in vintage jewelry!

Can you even stand the aurora borealis play of colors in this fabulous fancy-cut glass cluster pin?

I thought I would share some photos with you all of some recent acquisitions and some photos taken of items in my booth at Antiques Emporium. We recently invested in some new display cases with halogen lighting. Wow....the jewelry truly shows its fire and brilliance in these new cases. Let's just hope they do their job and sell for me...haha....

The top of one of my display cases; I just LOVE that pink feather-bob hat!

8 comments:

Jenny said...

My computer keys might be ruined after all the drool...hehehe! Beautiful!! and I love that pink hat!

Mitzi Curi said...

I love your sparkling "Midwinter Beauties"! I could look at jewelry all day.....

meleen dupré said...

laura,

so glad you found me, thank you!our craft day was so inspiring...i have so many ideas running through my head.... and i know what you mean by the hunt is on...once you've been bitten, it's the thrill of the hunt for sure.

meleen

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your elegant photos. I'm fairly new to collecting but love finding and learning about vintage and current designers. Who are your favorites?

Beth Leintz said...

Your jewelry is just stunning. I agree, jewelry is addictive. I've bought boxes of jewelry at auction without really seeing what's in them just for the entertainment value of digging through them. My favorite jewelry book- just for the sheer beauty of the pictures is Judith Millers.

Stacey said...

What beautiful pictures. Looks like you've recently found some beauties! I can't wait to visit the next time I'm in the Raleigh area- that blue set is AMAZING! Is it from your personal collection?

Yarni Gras! said...

I love antique jewelry as well. My grandmother left me some lovely pieces and I used to hunt pieces down in antique stores. I don't do it any longer....kids cost too much! LOL! Thank you for sharing...your photos are lovely!

Anonymous said...

How much for the first blue piece?