Monday, September 8, 2008

Corners with Windows

In a recent conversation with someone dear to my heart (who shall remain anonymous), a comment was made that got my creative juices flowing. The comment was said in the context of facing life decisions when you feel you are between the proverbial "rock and a hard place" and feeling backed into a corner. The exact comment was: "At least my corner has a window." I found this very profound. In my own life, I have always seen myself as someone who can be backed into a corner but for so long before I come out with claws unleashed. My claws aren't all THAT impressive mind you, but I tend to come out kicking and swiping…really, like a cornered cat would do. I bite first and ask questions later. And yes, I usually regret the bite. At the same time, I have a fairly high tolerance for corners, having found myself in them frequently. But I never thought to find a window in my corner. I suppose you could take that a step further and wonder whether I am more of a pessimist or an optimist. I consider myself a situationalist. But how wonderful would it be if everyone could find a window? What lies out the window? A different perspective on your corner? Maybe if you opened the window some light would seep into your corner and change your outlook. Maybe you would see a new tree or flower and find a completely different resolution. And maybe a corner can be a good thing. Good decisions are never made lightly, and usually, they are not easy to make. You must weigh different outcomes and options without really knowing how things may unfold. Rather like playing a game of master chess when there is truly no board and your opponent keeps changing boards. For the majority of my life, I tried to think things through in advance. What might happen, likely outcomes, etc, etc….until you just want to bang your head against a wall (been there, tried that and it hurts. Not recommended). Then for several years I lived by the principal of "Day by Day." During my day by day phase, I met the most wonderful man on earth, blossomed into a much more interesting person myself and actually relaxed for the first time in 30 years. Literally. Somehow I have since reverted back to overthinking, overplanning and overconsidering. Once again I find myself tense and unhappy a lot. So my advice to this anonymous someone is to remember the day by day. I think you will be much happier. The future will take care of itself; it always does. The sun is still going to rise tomorrow and the media will still be boring us to death with details of the election. Decisions such as the ones we face when we are in our corners are best made by looking out a window. Thank you for the insight, oh anonymous one!

No comments: