Monday, August 18, 2008

Our Wonderful Sweet Baby Kearney Boo

OK, so before everyone has a heart attack, our Yorkie Kearney is not, of course, our biological little girl, but as most pet owners can attest to doing, we love her as if she were. When Kearney came into our lives in the Spring of 2005, she was a teeny bundle of black and tan fur and looked exactly like an Ewok. My parents had finally bought a Yorkie. Unfortunately, my mother passed away before Kearney was a year old. Darby and I were more than happy to help my "overwhelmed and suddenly a single parent to a 5 pound ball of fur" father out, and eventually "helping out" led to "joint custody." Truth be told, Kearney and Darby bonded like super glue the moment they met that Spring. We have all been a little envious of the adoration Kearney shows for Darby. He is definitely her favorite human. (not that I can really blame her…he is my favorite human as well!) I have always been amazed by the positive difference pets make in our lives. Kearney seems to know I am upset before it is apparent I am upset. She'll jump in my lap and lick my eyelids and every tear that falls until I start laughing. How can you help but feel better when you are nose to nose with a furry face that is earnestly trying to take away your sorrow and worries? Her intuition is amazing…as soon as I start laughing, she is off; her therapist job over and a new adventure to be found…chasing after a stray dust bunny or fetching her squeaky ball or turning her food dish over in an attempt to remind me she is always hungry. Her tiny tail will be wagging so hard her whole body wags and her eyes will be bright with boundless curiosity and enthusiasm. Eventually she will tire and lay down on her favorite spot on the couch; tiny ears still perked for sounds of yard-invading squirrels or birds. But she will rest. And therein lies a great lesson for humans: Appreciate the stray dust bunnies and make them a game. Use your imagination. Squeak your toys with glee and eat when you are hungry. Shake your body and exercise it well. Discover what you seek to know. Comfort your loved ones and watch over your home and family. And when you are tired, curl up and rest. Always dream.
And wherever your tail may be, may it always wag.


1 comment:

Stacey said...

How cute! She's so precious:) Love the pictures!